Research and industry competences
South-Austria features significant research and industry competences in the cyber security field.
- Graz University of Technology, and in particular the Institute of Applied Information Processing and Communications (IAIK), is a heavyweight in the field of cyber security in southern Austria. About 50 researchers work at the Institute with Formal Methods, Secure Crypto-implementations, Secure e-Government and Trustworthy Systems. These include cryptography, e-Identity, trusted computing, RFID security, secure hardware implementations of cryptographic algorithms, side channel analysis, network security, and formal methods for design and verification.
- At Joanneum Research Digital, the Institute for Information and Communication Technologies, the Competence Group Cyber Security and Defence focuses on Security by Design, including threat modelling, formal methods for security testing and verification, AI for detection of anomalies based on network log data
- At the Alpen Adria University Klagenfurt is a Cybersecurity Research Group recently established by Prof. Elisabeth Oswald. The group’s main interest is in the fundamental principles that enable the creation and secure implementation of cryptography to secure systems.
- On the industry level, numerous companies in the field of cyber security have established themselves in this environment and are working together in the Cluster Focus Group towards a common goal. Among them NXP, BearingPoint, Siemens and mgIT to name just a few examples.
- Joint external presence (gemeinsamer Außenauftritt) in a coherent marketing strategy for the region in order to…
- attract cyber security skilled staff in the region
- motivate further companies to come to South- Austria and do business/cooperate with the specialists from the region
- Generation of cooperative projects